top of page


Accessory Structure – A use or structure, located on the same lot with the principal use or structure, that is subordinate and incidental to the principal structure or use of the property and that may occupy a separate structure and/or area on or in the ground, including, but not limited to, storage sheds or other storage structures, off-street parking, signs, off-street loading, gazebos, children's playhouses, greenhouses for personal use, garages, carports, swimming pools, decks, fences, patios, walls, antennas and similar structures.


  • All property owners or contractors constructing any shed or detached garage must apply for a Zoning Certificate prior to applying for a building permit and prior to beginning construction.

  • The following items are required to obtain a Zoning Certificate:

    • Completed Zoning Certificate application

    • Survey or site plan of the property with the shed drawn to scale and distance of shed from side and rear property clearly indicated.

  • Zoning Certificate fee is due after the certificate is issued to the property owner.

  • No detached garage or storage structure accessory to a dwelling shall be located in the minimum required front yard.

  • The maximum gross floor area of a detached garage or storage structure shall be 750 square feet.

  • In all R Zoning Districts and in S-C and R-C Districts, storage structures accessory to a dwelling shall be located at least five feet from the rear property line and at least 10 feet from the side property line.

  • In all zones, accessory storage structures must be located at least 10 feet from any principal building.


  • All detached garages and sheds require a building permit.

  • Submittal of building plans (if applying for building permit)

  • Contractor or property owner Certificate of Liability Insurance and Certificate of Workers Compensation Insurance (if applying for a building permit)


  • After submitting a Zoning Certificate application (and Building Permit application if necessary), the Township Zoning Officer will review the request. If approved, the Zoning officer will issue a Zoning Certificate and notify the applicant to pick-up certificate and pay the related fee. If denied, the property owner has the right to request a zoning variance with the Zoning Hearing Board.

  • The Zoning Officer will transfer all approved zoning requests to the Building Inspector (if necessary). The Building Inspector will review all building plans and contact applicants with approval or denial. Applicants must pay related permit fees when they pick-up the permit.

bottom of page